I’m sure you’ve heard many people talk about what they’re “intolerant “ to or can't eat. There are many, many types of food intolerances and to make it more confusing these are all distinct from food allergy.
Food allergy is immediate and can be life threatening. These people cannot be exposed to those foods and sometimes cannot even be in the same room as them. Eg peanuts and shellfish.
Food intolerances are not life threatening but can cause a lot of pain and discomfort.
The diseases and symptoms associated with them are are varied:
- Abdominal pain
- Recurrent colds/coughs
- Colic and constipation
- Fussy eating
- Bed wetting
- Weight problems
- Behavioral difficulties
- Speech delay
- Sensory processing disorder
- Autistic spectrum disorder
- Sinus congestion
The different types of food intolerances are:
- Food additives – colours, flavours, additives, preservatives
- Naturally occurring food chemicals – salicylates, amines, glutamates
- IgG immune mediated intolerances – eg gluten, dairy, egg, wheat
- FODMAP food intolerances – fructose, polyols, fructans, lactose, oligosaccharides.
I have successfully assisted people with each of these kinds of food intolerances and am familiar with distinguishing between them. The only type that can be accurately tested for are IgG food intolerances. The rest are diagnosed clinically, ie by the signs and symptoms.
Hence why a trained clinical eye is very useful.
So if you think you’ve got issues with food consult an appropriately qualified naturopath or nutritionist to assist you.